You were just notified that you were accepted into an MBA Program. So what do you do now?
Let me reword this question and add a time constraint, “I have been accepted into my MBA program of choice. What should I do in the next 60 days, before classes start, to differentiate myself so I have a competitive advantage?”
My intent is to provide a list of suggestions or “to dos” that, if completed, will help differentiate you from your peers and gain a competitive advantage in your MBA program. You will find the prioritized list in the section, “Accepted! Now What?” You will have the opportunity to comment, add to the list, and help with the prioritization. Other major sections will be added as we grow.
The following list of things to consider, in order of my suggested priority, is available to provide some guidance for you while you prepare to attend your MBA program:
- Regroup and Refocus – Learn how shift your focus from getting admitted to getting ready to start your program
- Information Gathering – Learn what information you need to prepare to start your MBA program
- How Will Starting an MBA Affect My Life in the Short-term? – Learn to identify the things in your life that will change as a result of starting an MBA program
- Developing an Action Plan to Mitigate Short-term Sacrifices While Earning My MBA – Learn the steps involved in developing an action that addresses the short-term sacrifices you will make while earning your MBA
- Career Wellbeing While Earning My MBA – Learn how Gallup’s assessment tool can help you manage the sacrifices, tradeoffs, and potential career well-being issues you may need to address while earning your MBA
- Prepare My Own MBA Personal Learning Guide – Learn how to prepare a Personal Learning Guide that helps organize information about your program, your goals, and it helps prepare you for the meetings with your immediate supervisor, coworkers, direct reports, and MBA team members
- Meet With My Boss – Learn what agenda items to include in preparation for a meeting with your immediate supervisor
- Meet with Co-Workers & Direct Reports to Manage Expectations – Learn what agenda items to include in preparation for a meeting with co-workers and direct reports
- Meet with My MBA Team Members – Learn what agenda items to include in preparation for a meeting with your new MBA team members
- The Benefits of Managing Career Wellbeing While Earning Your MBA – Learn the benefits of managing your career wellbeing while you are earning your MBA
- Social Wellbeing While Earning My MBA – Learn how Gallup’s assessment tool can help you manage the sacrifices, tradeoffs, and potential social well-being issues (family) you may need to address while earning your MBA
- Meet with Family Members – Learn what agenda items to include in preparation for a meeting with your family members and significant others
Thank you for visiting the MyeEMBA Blog. I look forward to providing you with all the MBA resources needed to enhance your MBA program. Feel free to browse MyeEMBA.com and provide any comments or feedback that will help me build out the website and blog to become vital resources for MBAs and MBA programs.
Rodney G. Alsup, D.B.A., CPA, CITP
Founder of MyeEMBA.com